A Minnesota man was in critical condition Wednesday after an unexploded firework embedded itself in his chest.
The victim was taken to Regions Hospital, in St. Paul, where the bomb squad were called after the live firework was found still inside the man's chest cavity, KARE 11 news reported.
Commander Paul Sommer, a spokesman for Anoka County Sheriff's Office, told the TV station, "I can't think of a case where someone was impacted by an unexploded device that penetrated that deeply into their chest cavity."
The accident took place at around 9:00pm local time Saturday when Nick Beheng was allegedly igniting illegal fireworks near his home.
He put two fireworks in a tube and held it up to his chest, but one of them backfired and slammed into the 31-year-old.
Beheng suffered a serious chest injury, including a torn heart, Sommer said. Doctors also found the firework was still in his chest.
He said, "The staff was nervous about the danger of the unexploded device that they contacted the St. Paul Police."
The bomb squad determined the firework was safe and it was removed. Beheng is recovering in hospital.