The FOX 5 College Internship Program is looking for students who are seeking a future career in Television Broadcasting.
This program is designed for students who want to learn the A, B, C's of how a News Station works; from Sales, Creative and Community Services, to ultimately getting the News Product on the air.
While students who enter this program should not expect immediate employment with our station, they will have the prerequisite skills to acquire an entry-level position in the broadcasting field.
Things You Need To Know About The Exclusive FOX 5 College Internship Program:
1. Internships are only available to college Junior or Senior Students.
2. Internships are 12 to 16 weeks (one quarter or a semester) and a minimum of 15 hours per week.
3. Students must receive college credits for internships from an accredited four-year educational institution.
4. Students must provide at least one recommendation from a "student advisor," who will be the primary contact throughout the internship.
5. Students must choose ONE department (listed below) for which they will serve the term of the internship.
AVAILABLE INTERNSHIPS AT FOX 5:
Students will get the opportunity to see how a Newscast is created for broadcast.
With that in mind, all interested applicants should have a vast knowledge of all current events.
The intern will work a rotating schedule that will allow them to experience in-house and field tasks, that include, but are not limited to, assignment desk assistance, general assignment reporter shadow, and writer/producer shadow.
Selected Interns will have the opportunity to be assigned to a particular division within the News Department (i.e., Sports, Web).
At the end of the internship, the student should be able to pass the writing test, conduct an interview, write a story and package, and facilitate story leads for possible assignments.
Sales/Research/Marketing personnel will explain what rating points are and how they are important to a television station. The intern will work with FOX 5 Account Executives to learn the difference between direct and agency accounts, and the different sales approach for each. The intern will go out on sales calls with account executives to learn proper business procedures as well as business etiquette. The intern will attend commercial shoots and edits and ultimately see the many steps it takes to get a spot on the air.
CREATIVE SERVICES (promotions):
An ideal area for a student interested in advertising, commercial production, public relations, or writing. The student will aid in scheduling promotional materials, assist on commercial/promotional shoots, and write ad copy. Opportunities may include producer responsibilities such as commercial conceptualization, research, supervision of pre-production, editing and post-production tasks.
SUMMER (May - August) March 1st
FALL (Sept. - Dec.) July 1st
SPRING (Jan. - April) November 1st
All students wanting to apply for an exclusive internship with FOX 5 must:
1. Completely fill out the Internship Application online at http://content.foxtvmedia.com/wttg/documents/InternApplication2013WTTG.pdf
2. Mail the completed application and all other required documents (College Transcripts, Essay, Resume, and Student Advisor Recommendation) to:
ATTN: Human Resources
5151 Wisconsin Ave NW
Washington DC 20016
Note: FOX 5 reserves the right NOT to accept any incomplete applications. FOX 5 will NOT contact any applicant if any portion of the application is missing.