MyFox Job Shop - Many of us know what to do during an interview - dress nicely, be polite and presentable - the usual. But what should you completely avoid when trying to impress a future employer? You'd be surprised.
Here are a few things to avoid during the interview that can kill your chances of getting an offer:
1. Never go unprepared - You can't ask intelligent questions if you dont know anything about the
2. Never act disinterested - If you don't have at least some interest in the job, don't bother
3. Don't talk too much - When responding to a question or making a comment, get to the point.
4. Try not to talk too little - You are expected to be an active participant. One-word answers make you
look uneducated disinterested.
5. Never forget your manners - a simple 'thank you' could end up sealing the deal.
6. Hold back from making derogatory comments about your current/past employer - This makes you seem immature, and that you may be difficult to get along with.
7. Don't take credit for things you didn't do - You should definitely explain your role in accomplishments, but dont overstate your authority or responsibility. It's a small world; they may know someone you know.
8. Don't hide gaps in your resume - False dates or periods of unemployment are easy to detect, and blemish your credibility right away, unless they are accounted for. Simply address any gaps in your resume or any other concerns with a direct explanation and why they were necessary, or what you learned from them.
9. Never show a lack of confidence in the potential employer - You can express concerns about some aspect of the potential employers strategy or operations - especially if you can offer a better approach. Employers want people who are excited about the opportunity and not focused on past mistakes.
10. Wait to ask any questions about salary or wages - until you get the call back and/or the approval, it is best to keep inquiries about how much you'll be making to yourself during the interview.
WTTG FOX 5 & myfoxdc
Didn't find what you were looking for?